{{11}}flounce (n.) "wide ruffle," 1713, from M.E. frounce "pleat, wrinkle, fold" (late 14c.), from O.Fr. fronce "line, wrinkle; pucker, crease, fold," from Frankish *hrunkjan "to wrinkle," from P.Gmc. *hrunk-. Influenced in form by flounce (v.).
{{12}}flounce (v.) 1540s, "to dash, plunge, flop," perhaps from Scandinavian (Cf. dialectal Swed. flunsa "to plunge," Norw. flunsa "to hurry," but first record of these is 200 years later than the English word), said to be of imitative origin. Spelling likely influenced by bounce. Notions of "anger, impatience" began to adhere to the word 18c. Related: Flounced; flouncing. As a noun, from 1580s as a motion.

Etymology dictionary. 2014.

, , (as an animal in a passion), , , / , (on a gown, etc.),

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Flounce — Flounce, v. t. To deck with a flounce or flounces; as, to flounce a petticoat or a frock. [1913 Webster] …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • Flounce — Flounce, v. i. [imp. & p. p. {Flounced} (flounst); p. pr. & vb. n. {Flouncing}.] [Cf. OSw. flunsa to immerge.] To throw the limbs and body one way and the other; to spring, turn, or twist with sudden effort or violence; to struggle, as a horse in …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • Flounce — Flounce, n. The act of floucing; a sudden, jerking motion of the body. [1913 Webster] …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • Flounce — Flounce, n. [Cf. G. flaus, flausch, a tuft of wool or hair; akin to vliess, E. fleece; or perh. corrupted fr. rounce.] An ornamental appendage to the skirt of a woman s dress, consisting of a strip gathered and sewed on by its upper edge around… …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • flounce — Ⅰ. flounce [1] ► VERB ▪ move in an exaggeratedly impatient or angry manner. ► NOUN ▪ an exaggerated action expressing annoyance or impatience. ORIGIN perhaps related to Norwegian flunsa hurry , or perhaps symbolic, like bounce. Ⅱ. flounce …   English terms dictionary

  • flounce — flounce1 [flouns] vi. flounced, flouncing [Early ModE, orig., to dive: < ? Scand, as in Swed dial. flunsa, to dive, dip; ? infl. by BOUNCE] 1. to move with quick, flinging motions of the body, as in anger 2. to twist or turn abruptly; jerk n.… …   English World dictionary

  • Flounce — (Volant, French) The piece of fabric sewn round the body of a garment, the lower edge hanging loose and spreading outwards …   Dictionary of the English textile terms

  • flounce — [v] bounce; intermittently move fling, jerk, mince, nancy, prance, sashay, spring, stamp, storm, strut, swish, throw, toss; concept 149 …   New thesaurus

  • flounce — [[t]fla͟ʊns[/t]] flounces, flouncing, flounced 1) VERB If you flounce somewhere, you walk there quickly with exaggerated movements, in a way that shows you are annoyed or upset. [V adv/prep] She flounced out of my room in a huff... She will… …   English dictionary

  • flounce — I UK [flaʊns] / US verb [intransitive] Word forms flounce : present tense I/you/we/they flounce he/she/it flounces present participle flouncing past tense flounced past participle flounced to walk quickly in an impatient way, because you are… …   English dictionary

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.